L.A. Connected is a citywide effort to help hard-hit Angelenos access their Economic Impact Payments, unemployment benefit insurance, income tax credits, and other vital assistance needed to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic economic crisis.
Three ways L.A. Connected can help you:
- Economic Impact Payment (EIP) or stimulus check
- Tax Credit Relief with Free Tax Prep
- Los Angeles & CalEITC Unemployment Benefit Insurance (UBI)
ECONOMIC IMPACT PAYMENT (EIP) or STIMULUS CHECK
A Guide to Receiving Your Economic Impact Payment (EIP)
In March 2020, the federal government passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. The CARES Act provides financial relief of up to $1,200 per adult and $500 per child.
The deadline to claim your money is October 15, 2020.
If you did not file taxes in 2018 or 2019, you need to fill out this form by October 15, 2020.
Do you or someone you know need additional help in accessing an economic impact payment?
Call 311 or fill out this form and a City of Los Angeles employee will reach out to you.
Most Americans are eligible! In order to qualify for the full payment of $1,200 (or $2,400 for a married couple), you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or qualifying resident alien with a valid Social Security Number (SSN)
- Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return
- Young adults (18 - 24) may be claimed as dependents. If you are 24 or younger, check with your guardian(s) to see if you are claimed as a dependent
- Earn less than $75,000 per year (or $150,000 if a married couple)
- Get My Payment
- Frequently Asked Questions on Economic Impact Payment
- How to Use IRS.gov to Get Your Economic Impact Payment
- Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here
INCOME TAX CREDITS & FREE TAX PREP AVAILABLE
IRS-certified experts and volunteers are available to offer free tax help to individuals and households with incomes of less than $55,000 a year. Find a location near you at FreeTaxPrepLA.
Resources for filing taxes:
- Learn how to claim tax credits like CalEITC, Young Child Tax Credit, and others for up to $8,000 cashback.
- Trained enrollment specialists will be available to help people sign up for proven and effective public benefits such as CalFresh food assistance.
- Get free, contactless (Drop & Go) tax prep services by IRS-certified volunteers (available for qualifying incomes of $55,000 or less. By appointment only. Visit FreeTaxPrepLA to make an appointment.
- If you’re owed a refund, you can still file your 2019 tax return for up to two years without penalties. Free tax prep is available for qualifying incomes of $55,000 or less.
- If you missed the filing deadline, you can still file your 2017, 2018, and 2019 taxes – regardless if you filed an extension or not. Claim your refund now.
- Go to the Free Tax Prep LA YouTube Channel to learn how to e-file and complete a non-filer stimulus payment claim to receive your Economic Impact Payment. Deadline to claim is October 15, 2020.
JOB LOSS ASSISTANCE & UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT INSURANCE
If you have lost your job or been furloughed, or if you’re struggling with reduced work hours or having difficulty keeping your business operational due to COVID-19, the Economic and Workforce Development Department (EWDD) has resources to help.
L.A. Jobs Portal: Resources for Jobseekers
- Find and apply for jobs across all industries posted on our online job portal.
- If you are unemployed, underemployed or furloughed, you can find free, virtual orientations, including how to apply for Unemployment Insurance (UI) through CA EDD and health insurance.
- Get free help with advisors in real time via virtual meetings.
Complete this form to get in touch with the Mayor's Office.